Friday, February 11, 2011

A few days after an argument over bikes on public roads

Reasons given for having a blackeye, stitches, scrapes, a limp, and soreness throughout my body (besides the "you should see the other guy"/"you should see the car").
-"I made fun of cal-poly one too many times."
-"I challenged someone to a dance-off."
-"Randy was not pleased with my paper presentation yesterday."
-"Loyce, did not take kindly to the question I had about 585"
-"I talked to Bernard about my PhD application, and things got a bit heated."
-When he walked into class and saw me, a friend yelled "Oh my God, Steven! What did Loyce do to you?" Loyce is the professor that was at the front of the room.

Reasons I wish I was in this condition:
-Saving baby orphans stranded on K-2

Reasons I was in this condition:
-Bike crash on the way home last night.

I was doing 20 or 25. The details of what exactly happened are fuzzy. I remember pulling out of a street and onto a main road behind one car with another car a hundred yards or so back. Then my memory is briefly blank only to restart with the feeling of myself struggling to keep control of the bike, like I had trouble keeping it upright. There's no visual memory of it, just tactile. My feet were then off the pedals and sliding over the ground. I must have been out of the saddle and still over the bike (this happened to me in another near crash when a foot pulled out of the pedal). It felt like a dream.

Then I remember laying in the road with pain throughout my body. Still no visual memory, and it felt like another dream. I crawled to get out of the road, although I'm not sure how I picked the right direction. Three people ran up to me from different sides telling me to stay still. I realized, with disappointment, that it was not a dream. I really was laying in the road, at night, after a bike crash, and in a whole lot of pain.

Only later did it occur to me how hard I must have hit the ground. Fortunately nothing broke, and I should be back in shape soon enough.
As for the bike, I only caught a glimpse before the fire fighters loaded it up and I got in the ambulance. The front wheel was considerably bent. Hopefully the frame is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment